Watercolor For Beginners
New registrations are closed. Class is full.
Skill level: absolute beginner
Cost for 5 sessions:
Arts Alliance of Stratford members: $140.00
- Lesson 1 – Basic watercolor paint application; brushwork techniques; and use them to create a fantasy floral
- Lesson 2 -Color Theory: Understanding color basics creating a color wheel with watercolors
- Lesson 3 – Simple landscape using basic washes for sky and grass. Creating clouds. Painting trees. Mixing colors on the paper not on palette .
- Lesson 4 – Fruit painting incorporating all 3 lessons
- Lesson 5 – Basic beach scene.
Materials (students are responsible for bringing their own materials)
- Basic Watercolors: Prang Half Pan Watercolor Paint Set
- Available on Amazon.com for under $12.00.
- Brushes Kolinsky Watercolor Paint Brushes (6-brush set)
- Available on Amazon.com for under $20.00
- Canson XL 140 cold press tape bound paper pad 30 sheets 9″ x 12″
- Approximate cost: $12-$15
- Mixing palette students may use the lid of the paint set to mix their colors. Students can also bring in a WHITE plastic dinner plate for an additional color mixing surface.
- Approximate cost: $0 – $1.00
- Gallon jug of water
- Approximate cost: $2.00
- If you prefer to shop locally for your supplies, you can purchase comparable items at Michaels, Jerry’s Artarama or any arts or crafts store of your choice.
About the Instructor, Donna Osterby-Brien
Donna Osterby-Brien has had a love affair with watercolor since studying at Parsons School of design. Though proficient with many other mediums she has been told “You shine brightly” when using watercolor.”
“My approach to watercolor is to use a fully loaded brush of beautiful color. It is, after all, WATER – COLOR.” Together we will learn to ‘tame this medium’ and allow its semi-transparent nature to really shine.”
Osterby-Brien is a member of several local arts associations including Arts Alliance of Stratford, BRAG and Artists Collective of Westport. She has won awards in juried exhibits and has had several solo shows in libraries, museums and other venues in the Tri-State area.